Tuesday, 22 September 2026

Chapter Four — The Secret That Broke Them

 


Happiness never lasted without a price.

Stine discovered the truth accidentally.

Charles had known about John's betrayal before their marriage.

He had known that John planned to leave her.

Worse, Charles had deliberately stepped into her life that day.

She confronted him.

“You knew?”

Charles went silent.

“You knew he was going to leave me?”

“Yes.”

“And you married me because you felt sorry for me?”

“No.”

“Then why?”

Charles couldn't answer.

Stine's eyes filled with tears.

“You manipulated me.”

“I was trying to protect you.”

“You don't get to decide what's best for me!”

He stepped toward her.

“I fell in love with you.”

“Then you should have trusted me with the truth.”

That stopped him.

Stine removed her wedding ring.

“I need time.”

She walked away.

For the first time since their marriage, Charles didn't stop her.

Days passed.

Then weeks.

Charles became colder than ever.

Stine returned to her parents' home.

Neither called.

Neither slept well.

Then one evening, Stine received a phone call.

Charles had been in an accident.

She reached the hospital breathless.

He was unconscious.

For hours, she sat beside his bed holding his hand.

“I hate you,” she whispered through tears.

Her voice broke.

“But I love you more.”

Charles's fingers moved.

Stine froze.

His eyes slowly opened.

“You came.”

She cried harder.

“Of course I came, idiot.”

He smiled weakly.

“I was hoping you would.”

Stine lowered her forehead against his hand.

“I don't want a perfect marriage.”

Charles looked at her.

“I just want an honest one.”

“You have it.”

He squeezed her fingers.

“I love you, Stine.”

She smiled through her tears.

“I love you too.”

No comments:

Post a Comment