Monday, 21 September 2026

Chapter Three — The Line Between Pretending and Loving

 


Three months passed.

The arrangement had begun to feel dangerously real.

At a charity gala, Stine arrived beside Charles in a silver dress.

Everyone stared.

The ruthless CEO had brought his wife.

Whispers followed them everywhere.

Then John appeared.

Stine's smile disappeared.

Charles noticed immediately.

“Do you want to leave?”

“No.”

She straightened.

“I don't want to spend my life running from him.”

John approached.

“Stine.”

She looked at him calmly.

“You look happy.”

“I am.”

His eyes moved toward Charles.

“You married him?”

“Yes.”

“Do you love him?”

Stine froze.

She looked at Charles.

He was watching her.

Waiting.

She didn't know why the question suddenly frightened her.

Before she could answer, Charles stepped forward.

“She doesn't owe you an answer.”

John laughed.

“You can't seriously love her.”

Charles's expression hardened.

“I don't care what you believe.”

He took Stine's hand.

“But I know one thing.”

His fingers tightened around hers.

“She deserves someone who chooses her every single day.”

Stine's heart skipped.

Later that night, they stood on the balcony alone.

“Why did you defend me?” she asked.

“Because you didn't deserve what he did.”

“That isn't what I asked.”

Charles looked at her.

Silence stretched between them.

Finally, he said softly,

“Because seeing you hurt bothers me.”

Stine's breath caught.

“Charles…”

He stepped closer.

“I think our agreement stopped being an agreement a long time ago.”

Neither moved.

The distance between them disappeared.

But just before their lips met, Charles stopped.

“I won't kiss you unless you're sure.”

Stine looked into his eyes.

For once, there was no contract.

No revenge.

No pretending.

Only two people who had unexpectedly fallen in love.

She whispered,

“I've never been more sure of anything.”

He kissed her.

And Stine realized something terrifying.

She had married a stranger.

But somewhere along the way, the stranger had become home.

No comments:

Post a Comment