Monday 26 September 2016

Part 2: SHE's with ME

It is my first morning in Denmark. I woke up early and wanted to go out for some fresh air and may be a walk if I get a chance. The moment I stepped out of my room towards the lobby, I saw all three of them were sitting on the dining table and sipping their different favorites. Mrs. Ludwig was having green tea whereas Mr. Ludwig had black coffee and Zarek was about to leave for jogging with a water tumbler in his hands. I greeted them morning and they reciprocated the same with equal affection. Just then, Zarek offered me to come with him for a morning walk. And I thought that if I would have asked for something big from God today morning, I would have got that too. I happily accepted Zarek’s offer and went with him with the permission of Mrs. & Mr. Ludwig.
Zarek is such a charmer and a very humorous person to interact with. He never let you get bored. It was my first day in Denmark and I am almost a stranger to him as well as to this place, but he never let me realized that. I was thoroughly enjoying his company. And it was so very kind of him to make me aware of the ways and surroundings near to their place. He showed me all the shops around, in case if I want something and also told me that I can come to this joggers’ park every day for walk if I want. There he made me meet with many of his local friends and neighbours of ours.
During walk only, he asked me about my plans and what kind of course I am here for? He also asked me if I am comfortable staying at his parent’s house or not. All in all, he was friendly, cooperative and very lively person. During our walk only we have decided to go for a coffee in a nearby café in the evening. According to Zarek, this is the café one must visit because it gives you the flavor of everything under the same roof. Like it is run by an Indo-Danish family so with the flavours of India in Denmark, you not only enjoy the Hindi songs out there but sometimes, if you are lucky, you can get a chance to meet Mrs. Malhotra who is the owner of the café and a very loving lady to spend time with. Except her, no one in the café understands Hindi and they prefer to speak in Danish and sometimes in English, to the new guests. So with all this sort of background, I was very excited to visit the café.

After coming back from walk, we all had breakfast together and Zarek introduced me with some Danish words. During the day, we all did gardening, cleaning of house, also me and Zarek went to the market to get some stuff for kitchen, Mr. Ludwig washed and cleaned his car and surprisingly it took him almost half a day. I was wondering that all the things which we outsource or hire household help for, back home, are done personally here. And not only these are done rather people enjoy doing all those things. This gives them satisfaction and also a sense of belonging.
And finally its evening! As decided, we got ready to go to café for the coffee. Mrs. & Mr. Ludwig were very happy to see that Zarek was taking a good care of me, which is usually not the case with him as he is most of the time busy with the studies, preparation or his job. But unlike all other times, this time he himself was volunteering and this is something I was also enjoying. Not for a single minute till now I have felt that this is not my country and this is not my family.
I got dressed in my casuals and went to the living room where Zarek was already waiting for me. He asked if I will walk down to café or shall he ask for the car from his dad to which I told that I prefer to walk. Actually, it was his company which will not make you realize the distance and being lively he will not let anyone get bored around him. We started towards the café and after every 10 minutes he was informing me that it’s just about 10 more minutes and we will be there. Actually it was really far off from the house but at no point in time he allowed the tiredness to take stroll on my body. Finally after about a 40 minutes of walk, we reached the place. It was really a treat to eyes to see such a beautifully decorated café. It actually had a different fragrance in its atmosphere. Everyone out there were enjoying the famous MASALA TEA, the specialty of that café. The staff there looked familiar with Zarek, as if he is a regular client of the café and also a good friend to them. Whoever saw him there, without missing, they all wished him in a friendly manner and asked about his parents.
He introduced me with everyone, whoever met him there till we settled ourselves on a window side table with a spectacular view outside. He asked me what will I have, and I replied that lets have something which you like the most here. And as a custom for him, he ordered two Masala Tea for us. He spotted someone on the other corner of the café, who seems to be known to him so he took an excuse from me for some time to go and meet that person. I was sitting alone on the table and enjoying the view outside when someone came and said / asked something, “hvem er du med frue?” After hearing some alien language I had no option other than giving an equally alien look. Immediately, Zarek came running towards our table and asked the person, “hvad er ven sag?” to which he replied, “jeg spurgte Fru at hvem hun er med.” Then again Zarek said, “hun er med mig.” The person smiled and went back.
Now it was Zarek’s turn to explain me with things. He said, when he was with his friend in café, he saw one of these waiters asking me something. And he knew that this waiter doesn’t speak anything other than Danish, and that is why he came running towards me. And he told me what he asked! “He asked you that whom r you with? To which you gave him an alien look. Later he repeated the same question to me on asking. And I replied that You are with me!”

With a cherry red colour on my cheeks, I smiled and turned my face towards the window. After about 10 minutes the same waiter came to deliver our order we exchanged smiles now. While sipping the Masala Tea, Zarek was completely engrossed in the Hindi songs and the cozy, friendly & warm atmosphere of the café. He shared with me that whenever he feels strange, he comes here. This place gives him peace of mind and helps him to find himself in the fast moving mechanical life. I also enjoyed every bit of the place. It was not different from what Zarek has told me about it. And after about an hour of sitting in the café, we said goodbye to the people there. While we were about to exit through the main door, the same waiter came and said “coem tilbage snart”. To which Zarek replied “Jo da! Takker dig.” Again he explained me that the waiter asked us to come back again soon, to which he replied Sure! Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment