Saturday, 26 September 2026

Chapter Five — The Choice

 


One year after the day they married, Stine returned to the same registration office.

The same building.

The same courtyard.

The same rain.

But this time, she wasn't crying.

Charles stood beside her.

He held two documents.

Their divorce papers.

And a second set of papers.

Stine looked at him.

“What are those?”

“A new agreement.”

She opened it.

There was only one sentence.

No expiration date.

Stine laughed.

“You're terrible at romance.”

“I know.”

“You're supposed to give me flowers.”

“I bought some.”

“Where?”

Charles pointed behind him.

A delivery boy stood there holding an enormous bouquet.

Stine burst out laughing.

Charles smiled.

“I was told flowers were important.”

She stepped closer.

“They are.”

He reached into his pocket.

A small velvet box appeared.

Stine's eyes widened.

“Charles…”

“This isn't a proposal.”

She frowned.

“Then what is it?”

He opened the box.

Inside was her original wedding ring.

The one she had removed a year ago.

“I don't want you to wear it because you're my wife.”

He took her hand.

“I want you to wear it because you choose me.”

Stine looked at him.

The man she had married by accident.

The man who had slowly become her best friend.

Her safest place.

Her greatest love.

She slipped the ring onto her finger.

“I choose you.”

Charles smiled.

“Good.”

“Why?”

“Because I'm not marrying you again.”

Stine's eyes widened.

He pulled her closer.

“I'm keeping you forever.”

She laughed as he kissed her.

Behind them, the rain fell softly against the pavement.

One year ago, Stine had walked into that building believing her life had ended.

Today, she walked out knowing it had only just begun.

Their marriage hadn't started with love.

It had started with heartbreak, revenge, and two strangers making a reckless bargain.

But somewhere between the arguments, midnight conversations, stolen smiles, and impossible forgiveness…

the bargain had become a promise.

And the promise had become love.


No comments:

Post a Comment